Sunday, November 13, 2016

I Can't Pinpoint Its Origin

Reason the marigold is a choice of gardeners.
                In July, a tiny plant emerged as if growing out of the east side of the cellar. Even with my limited knowledge of ornamental flowers, I could tell that it belonged to the marigold family. Since marigolds are a natural repellent to some pesky garden insects, I had planted the seeds of several marigold varieties near our tomato plants last year.
                But this little plant baffled me. I had never planted seeds on that side of the cellar. Somehow seeds had gotten to that spot. Grandma, Gladys Rainey Smith, grew ornamental flowers and bushes with a prolific flare, but I only remember marigolds in her garden, not in the backyard beds.
                Marigolds seemed to be a floral species more to my father’s liking. Dad liked growing things that could be eaten or shared. He planted zinnias annually in the middle row of his garden.  Maybe he had low-maintenance marigolds in those beds.
The prolific little plant!
                Around early October, the mysterious plant exploded with beautiful rust-red blooms. Its vibrant color confirmed that it couldn’t have been planted by me or reseeded from the marigolds I planted since I had only planted yellowish, gold marigold seeds. Truth be told – the marigold seed packets were on sale for 4 packets for $1.00. When I planted those seed packets near the tomato plants in 2015, they bloomed out in yellowish shades from pale, lemony hues to rich, deep golden colors. These autumnal tinted posies must have originated from marigolds planted several years ago by my father or grandmother.
What gorgeous contrasting fall colors!
                As I tilled around this “volunteer” plant with my hoe, I reflected. The plant had sprung from seed that had been reseeded by someone, either Dad or Grandma but had remained dormant for these many years. Yet with no nurturing, tilling, watering, clearing of dead grass or pulling the new weed growth, the seed laid latent in the fallow soil at the edge of the flower bed, almost crowded out of existence by the concrete of the cellar.
               In early 2016, I attacked the uncultivated beds, determined to plant tomato plants in both beds flanking the old cellar door. The undisturbed soil in the east bed was stirred for the first time in around six years.
                My reflection turned from plants to people. I thought how many seeds of God’s Word with its guaranteed principles for successful living have been planted over the years in hearts of people – children, teenagers, and adults. Sadly, almost daily, I witness heartache, sorrow, despair, loneliness, hopelessness, disappointment, and confusion in the lives of many I encounter. Do we understand how important it is to “till the soil” of these hurting lives to enable the seeds of the Word of God to take root and flourish in lives? Are we watering with the living Word of God the seedbed in these precious souls we meet? The scriptural truths shared prayerfully with those who are struggling with life’s ups and downs also can be used by the spirit of God to prune unfruitful areas and lead to a new level of productivity in the Lord.
                What an important mission in the lives of those of us who love Him with all our hearts! As we go through our days, may God open our eyes of awareness, stir our hearts with compassion, and move our mouths and feet to share and express the Biblical truths pertinent to those we meet. The following verses can serve as a springboard for us.

Our own preparation Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15)
Sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; (I Peter 3:15)

Comfort for the Sorrowing, Heartbroken - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those with which we ourselves are comforted by God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4)
This is my comfort in my affliction, For Your word has given me life. (Psalm 119:50)

Despair - We were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life. Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead…  (2 Corinthians 1:8)

Disappointment- Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given us. (Romans 5:5)

Distress- I called on the Lord in distress; The Lord answered me and set me in a broad place. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? (Psalm 118:5-6)

Loneliness-Hear my prayer, O Lord, And let my cry come to You. Do not hide Your face from me in the day of my trouble; Incline Your ear to me; In that day that I call, answer me speedily….I am like a pelican of the wilderness; I am like an owl of the desert. I lie awake, And am like a sparrow alone on the housetop. (Psalm 1-2, 6-7)

Need for Deliverance – Those who sat in darkness and in the shadow of death, Bound in affliction and irons – Because they rebelled against the words of God, And despised the counsel of the Most High, Therefore He brought down their heart with labor; They fell down, and there was none to help. Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, And He saved them out of their distresses. He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, And broke their chains to pieces. (Psalm 107: 10-14)

Such a testimony to God's handiwork!
                A prayer on a committed believer’s lips might be: Lord, as I spend time with You in Your Holy Word and prayer, prepare me to be an extension of Your love, truth, mercy, and grace. Give me confidence to share Your message with compassionate sensitivity to a hurting individual. May Your Spirit open the person’s heart to Your Words.
                Some may recall, in earlier days, "seeds" planted by older family members, loving church teachers, or caring neighbors. The effects of nurturing deeds and godly advice buried deep in one’s heart can be “tilled” to resurface and strengthen a weary, needy person.

                May the sturdy, hearty, and beautiful marigold plant, with its surprising emersion this season, serve as inspiration for each of us. God can be trusted to move in our hearts to direct us to the scripture that we need to live our lives in accordance with actions that will most honor Him.
Even in a poor location, this hearty little plant flourshed!

No comments :

Post a Comment