Sunday, May 17, 2020

The Graduating Class of 2020 Is Not Forgotten

            A few weeks ago, I saw Braiden Holloway in Fairfax, during my COVID-19 virus-dictated-once-a-month trip. Keeping our “social distance,” I congratulated him early, hoping we would get to see each other again at the Woodland 2020 class’s commencement exercises. Sadly, that seems not to be.
            As I looked at the faces of these students in the third grade class group photograph, memories flooded my mind. I recalled students who enjoyed using “primitive” computer games to master and build speed with automatic recall of their multiplication facts. I celebrated quietly that some of these students acquired a love of reading and recognized the value of reading. What fun when these students suddenly “got” a concept or mastered a paper/pencil algorithm such as long division or subtracting across zeros! I loved to say, “You are smarter than you think!”

Some of these faces reminded me of Mrs. Gullic challenging this group to memorize Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address. Other of these students thrived on art projects and reveled in using color and sketching in Mrs. Gullic’s art class.
I smiled as I remembered the Valentine’s Day party when, with the mothers of Cameron Potter, Taytum Kelly, and Brett Graham, these three discovered they all descended from the same couple – Elias Henry and Martha Elizabeth Rice!
One of these students, Jaxon Bevill, came to mind once again on September 11. When we recalled the horrific attacks of 9/11 rolled in the fall of 2010, Jaxon told me his mother gave birth to him the same day of the attacks.
A look at these faces prompted recollections of their more recent recognitions in sports, academics, and livestock showing along with developing proficiency in music and a myriad of other worthwhile endeavors. They have acquired life skills along with attaining career training to serve them well in the future.
The students in the group photo above were only the students in my home room in 2010/2011. That year I taught reading and spelling to Mrs. Beth Gullic’s home room of third graders while she taught Social Studies, Science and Art to the students in my home room. I remembered fondly her students, too.
Eight years ago, I shifted from teaching all day in one room to help care for my father following his stroke plus caring for my parents’ small cattle herd. Many times, I heard Zach McInroy’s voice echoing from a very wet spring day when I had playground duty. That weekend, Zach had helped with a repair and learned a new bit of information that I have used in some difficult situations here on the farm. I remember Zach had a little ditty that he repeated numerous times as he walked around the track with me. (To have outside recess, we were relegated to the track since the spring rains rendered the playground a muddy mess.) Zach’s little memorable saying was Righty tighty, Lefty loosey! His repetition lodged in my mind. When I found myself hoping to repair something I never intended to have to fix and in a precarious spot, usually finally trying to get the “project” put back together, I heard Zach’s voice, "Righty tighty, Lefty loosey. "
The WHS Class of 2020 has not been forgotten by teachers, families, and those who love them. It is my hope this unparalleled spring will be unforgettable in the memory of these students since it became a time when life slowed down. Those we loved were held closer, even though with some, they could only be "held" in our hearts. Many renewed the practice of prayer. All of these are good to implement even in a post-COVID-19 world.
 God’s Word reminds of a couple of things to never forget. Both are from Psalms, the portion of the Bible that contains songs. Here is the first one from Chapter 78, verse 7:
So each generation should set its hope anew on God, not forgetting His glorious miracles and obeying His commands.
What a concise directive for the Seniors of 2020! Set your hope on God. Don’t forget His miracles in your life. Obey His commands.
            The second edict for success comes from King David, the most revered king of Israel. He exclaims in Chapter 103, verse 2 of Psalms:
Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things He does for me.
One of the healthiest daily routines is closing the day with a prayer of thankfulness for the good things experienced throughout the day – no matter how great or small.
Congratulations to the Class of 2020!

No comments :

Post a Comment