Sunday, May 16, 2021

The Musically-Talented Woman Who Could Teach

                This time of year always causes me to think of preparing for spring piano recitals. Had I had the mindset I have now, I would have devoted even more time to memorizing and practicing the selection Mrs. Wendell and I had decided I perform. I relish practicing more now than I ever have.
                Over 57 years ago, I met a genteel woman who shared my same love of music. Mildred Wedell drove from Hominy each week to provide private piano lessons to all willing to pay the $2.00 per lesson and practice daily. The petite, naturally-blonde piano “coach” coordinated with homeroom teachers for the best time to pull students for their thirty minutes of piano instruction.
                Mrs. Wedell served as the pianist at the Hominy Assembly of God Church. She worshipped weekly with her husband and their son and daughter. Her background fit perfectly with the primary goal of my maternal grandmother and my mother. Foremost, they wanted me to be a proficient enough to enhance a congregation in worshipful singing.
Although both grandmothers were musically-gifted, neither had any formal training in the piano or voice. Dad often commented what a “pretty voice” his mother, Mamie Irene Tripp Gates, had. Grandma Gates played keyboard instruments by ear. My oldest aunt, Ella Edith Gates Bledsoe, told me in our last visit prior to her death, “Mama only wanted to make music and draw.” She continued reiterating how her artistic bents had to take a backseat to her love and care for her family.
Grandma Gladys Rainey Smith moved to the “uncivilized” Bend when she was twelve so missed the opportunity to be given piano lessons as her oldest sister, Daisy Dean Rainey Rice, had received when they lived in Konawa, Oklahoma. My gutsy, determined grandmother taught herself the lines and spaces and to read music in the evening after working in the cotton fields as a teen-ager. She sang “note-perfect” alto until the stroke took her voice six months prior to her death.
Aunt Emma Rainey Buckley, my maternal grandmother’s youngest sister, made my mother’s goal possible by providing the tuition for one year of piano instruction. Aunt Emma attended various types of concerts during her career in Washington, D.C.
As a little third grader, I hung on each of her instructions and readily obeyed with one exception. I did not like to count aloud. Instead, I liked to pump my wrists as my “movement-oriented” method of correctly executing the timing of the piece. To Mrs. Wedell’s credit as a teacher, as well as my final willingness to follow her instruction, on a regular basis, when tackling a new challenging piece, I count aloud.  I have even written out and tapped the note values of the specific “spot” in an unfamiliar piece of music as my metronome sounds in my earbud.
As I reflected on her incalculable value to our school system, I recalled many spring recitals held usually at the Ralston Federated Church. Some of the students participating were Brent, Kevin, Robin, and Bruce Myers. Debbie and Kim Akers along with Beverly Goad and her neighbor, Tomasine Rainey polished pieces for the recital. (Kim and Tomasine entertained the parents and relatives with some rollicking pieces on their accordians!) I remember Robbie Sawyer and Mark Myers being students of Mrs. Wedell, too. My sister, Angie, was among some of the last students taught by Mrs. Wedell. 
Mildred Wedell with Bernadean
Gates following her first piano
recital at the Hominy Assembly
of God Church in the spring of
1964. - from the first photo album
I put together with the help of my
grandma who purchased the album
plus she helped me select the
 photos to fill.

She stressed striving for mastery as we practiced. Her goal for each student’s piece was encapsulated in the phrase, “concert performance.” Mrs. Wedell demanded “note perfect” presentation of each piece. Receiving one of the most gorgeous stickers from her collection of eagles, stars, birds, flowers and numerous others delighted the aspiring student. Having one of those stickers placed at the top of the perfected piece denoted the epitome of keyboard success for her students.
Mildred Wedell, as a devout follower of Jesus, obediently taught piano and accordian lessons in less than perfect situations, places like custodian storage areas and tiny rooms. 
She wanted her students to enjoy using their talent and rejoiced greatly when they played for corporate worship.
Many churches over the years benefitted from the proficiency of Mrs. Wedell’s students. Debbie Akers and Beverly Goad played the piano and organ at the Ralston Federated Church which later became the Ralston Bible Church. Robin Myers and Angie Bradley, my sister, both served as pianists at the Ralston Baptist Church. Bruce Myers and Mark Myers have served as alternate pianists in the Ralston Baptist Church as well. Brent Myers used his keyboard virtuosity in many of the churches he has pastored. (Brent uses his keyboard talent presently at Pawnee First Christian Church.) During the last conversation I had with Kevin Myers revealed he played regularly at his home church in Tennessee.
The instruments on which Mrs. Wedell provided instruction were the piano, the organ, and the accordion. Even though the three instruments have been around for less than 500 years*, the Bible addresses the used of stringed instruments in praising the Lord. These two verses have within them a two-word phrase spoken innumerable times over the years by my mother.
Praise the Lord with the harp; Make melody to Him with an instrument of ten strings. Sing to Him a new song; PLAY SKILLFULLY with a shout of joy. Psalm 33:2-3
Mother worked in accord with Mrs. Wedell in directing our practicing with the two-word watchword from Psalm 33:3. Mother inculcated our daily practice and our performances whether if only in our home or when asked to play for an audience at a recital or in a church service with the demand PLAY SKILLFULLY.
                May we encourage budding musicians to develop their God-given talent through practice based on quality instruction. Vocal and instrumental music can provide enjoyment throughout a lifetime. Let’s live out this New Testament scripture’s command.
Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord. Ephesians 5:19

*The piano was invented in the early decades of the 18th century. The electronic organ developed in the 1930s. The earliest recorded accordion dates to the early 19th century.

No comments :

Post a Comment