Sunday, May 23, 2021

The Battles of Piano Lessons, Practicing, and Life

                 Bernyce Smith Gates, my mother, felt an additional account should be told connected to my piano lessons with Mrs. Wedell. The focus of the biggest “set-to” between my mother and me was piano lessons and practicing. In the eighth grade, one late afternoon of piano practice found me asserting my independence. I let my mother know I did not want to take piano lessons anymore, so I did not need to practice those classical pieces assigned to me. She told me I was going to take piano lessons. Discussion over. Despite my convulsive crying and heaving, I hunched over the keys and played note perfect the pieces that afternoon. We never discussed my discontinuing piano lessons until many years later.

                In life, choosing the battles in which to engage loom large for parents. Mother allowed me to wear the stick-straight hair style of the early 1970s, even though it did not flatter my face. Many other choices that failed to align with her preferences were overlooked by her and Dad.

                One battle worth going head-to-head with me was over the music instruction. Mother understood the importance of piano lessons for me. She felt strongly about my musical potential being developed. She believed without formal instruction, I would only play what I wanted to play, instead of practicing skills needed for growth as a pianist. The discipline of instruction helped ensure this. Dad sometimes referred to aimlessness in kids as being a “play baby.” Thankfully, both parents insisted my sister, Angie, and I learn to work, finish tasks, and do them well. (Right now, due to rain, I am suppressing stress over an overgrown lawn by recalling Mother’s frequent quoting, “If there’s a way try and find it. If not, never mind it.).

                Three Woodland High School senior young men of our church came to mind as I thought about battles. They are Ethan Fesler, a former third grade student, Kenny Endl, a reading and spelling student of mine in third grade and a Sunday School student, and Ben Brock, whom I have known for most of his high school years, working in VBS and other church activities. I worshiped with all three young men on Sundays. Our pastor’s wife, Caryn Brock, asked their opinion of a good song for senior recognition Sunday last week. It seemed without much consideration, the song selected was the rallying call, Onward Christian Soldiers.

   

                Oh that we all could recognize as these young men do, we are continually in a battle of one kind or another! Yet, as believers in Jesus, often we fail to remember our opponent. The Apostle Paul unequivocally identified our enemy as the devil and his evil realm. He clarifies in Ephesians 6:12 – “We are not fighting against humans. We are fighting against forces and authorities and against rulers of darkness and powers in the spiritual world.”

                In an earlier letter written to the believers of Corinth, Paul pinpoints the initial and main battle. He instructs the struggling followers of Jesus to “Bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.” Winning the battle of our thoughts is the first step to victory and success.

                Jesus clearly delineated Satan’s three purposes in John 10:10. The arch enemy of God comes “to steal, kill, and destroy.” Practical understanding of his rebellion’s far-reaching consequences involved the devil scheming to use my adolescent propensity to avoid practicing due to my lack of discipline. The result would steal God’s purpose for my musical inclination to honor Him. Our committed young men from our church are targets for having their reputations and goals destroyed by the wicked one by derailing God’s plan for them, but their awareness of his intent and techniques alerts them to prepare for his attacks.

May each of us, no matter our age, be vigilant because Satan is “prowling, seeking whom he may devour.” Our reliance on God’s Word will “bring every thought into captivity.” Since Jesus “loved us first and gave Himself for us,” how can we respond with anything other than a total commitment to Him? That strong relationship coupled with the words of God flowing through our minds provides courage to battle the true enemy. Addressing the real battles, keeps us from becoming sidetracked with distractions that rob us of accomplishing the designs of God for us, His much-loved children.

No comments :

Post a Comment