Sunday, May 9, 2021

Honoring Mother

                As I thought of Mother’s Day last week, the prophetess, Anna, came to mind. Luke the Physician wrote of her in his gospel in chapter 2, verses 36-38. The aged widow appeared to never leave the temple. Anna “served God with fastings and prayers night and day.”

                Anna recognized the tiny Savior even though He was just over a month old at His first appearance in the temple with Joseph and Mary. The prophetess gave thanks to the Lord for sending the Redeemer whose death would open the gates of heaven to those who would embrace Him and receive His gift of eternal life. Then Anna spoke of Him to all who “looked for redemption.”

                These three characteristics attributed to Anna exemplify qualities of a godly woman. Anna was only married for seven years according to Luke’s account. Yet Luke indicates she had lived into her 80s.

Anna was described as engaging in round the clock praying. As soon as she glimpsed the Baby Messiah, Jesus, she gave thanks. She talked to all who anticipated the Redemption of Israel.

We are not told if Anna had children. Upon thinking of this, I thought of several dear friends who have buried a beloved  child. Perhaps Anna had outlived her children. Yet she still maintained a vibrant, moment-by-moment relationship with the Lord.

My own mother, at age 96, especially during the pandemic, has served the Lord with her prayers. So many of those for whom she prays, she doesn’t know personally, but when we are notified of a need or requested to pray for someone, she joins with me in praying. Innumerable times I have been faced with needs on the farm and blurted out to her, “Well you better start praying about this!” I am reluctant to admit that my tone often did not reflect faith. Instead, impatience overshadowed my words. Undaunted, Mother prayed. We have seen page after page of my prayer journal with dates of the answers written in the right margin next to each entry on most pages. The wee hours of the morning are when many of her prayers are voiced.

Even as children, my sister and I cringed at Mother’s thankfulness when she always displayed her Pollyanna* attitude. That was the last thing we, especially me, wanted to see and hear. I wanted to lament and complain. Not Anna or my mother. Even during this prolonged pandemic, I have seen Mother exude more gratitude and trust, which has impacted my own growth in the Lord.

Each morning before we eat breakfast, I pray, “Lord, use us to glorify You today.” In 2020, Mother left the farm only two times after the March shutdown. She kept three doctor’s appointments thus far in 2021. Yet, in phone calls, I overheard her speaking words that uplift her callers and point to the powerful Redeemer we serve. People came to our home on business-related matters. Mother wove into the conversation the godly plan for her 67-year-marriage, the Biblical way to train children, and pithy responses that point to Jesus as the only way of salvation.

Lord, may we all be in an attitude of prayer night and day to You. Let every good gift You bestow on us be responded to with “Thank You, Father.” Give us courage and devotion to be like the hymn writer, Fanny Crosby,I love to tell the story; For those who know it best seem hungering and thirsting to hear it, like the rest.”

Happy Mother’s Day!

Mother's Day 2018 - Bernadean, Bernyce, and Angie after attending church.


*For further explanation of the "Pollyanna" principle, click on this link: https://bernadeanjgates.blogspot.com/2018/04/early-morning-sounds-in-stillness.html

No comments :

Post a Comment